Saturday, June 28, 2008

"Reformed" vs. "Evangelical": Why I tend to use the latter

For those who know them by name, I say to you that I love the Doctrines of Grace and believe they are a correct summary of the gospel...I stand unwaveringly with the 5 Solas, and embrace the Reformed Tradition as my own, two of my favorite web sites are Desiring God and Monergism ... YET I prefer to use the term "evangelical" when discussing the church and targeting a community in need of Reformation.

I share this for those who perceive my frequent use of the term evangelical as a kind of side step around the rigors of Calvinism or a lack of confusion about Reformed Theology. In fact, I chose RTS for seminary study specifically for its reformed faculty and tradition: I confess John Frame has risen toward the top of my scholarly heroes list, and in fact when I finish blogging today, I will return to reading the Westminster Confession of Faith for my Intro to Theological Studies Class, where Richard Pratt is simply thrilling me!!

But you're not going to see a lot of Reformed language at the forefront of my postings because...
  • I agree with Richard Pratt that we have to continue to review and revise our theological categories, and I think one way to do that is to jettison well-worn labels which in their effort to short-cut dialogue can either obfuscate it or worse...erect barriers!

  • The reform need in the church, in particular the African American church, is less about particular doctrines...at least initially...and is more about a rediscovery of biblical clarity: sound and true interpretation, along with the formulation of proper theological principles which then pour into godly and holy living. I think we lead with scripture and arrive at doctrine, as opposed to beginning with doctrine and then extracting from the bible the evidence to support our heard-as-controversy positions.

Hopefully, that makes sense...and primarily for those who might be confused or concerned by more frequent use of the "evangelical" label instead of "reformed"...

:-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem is Evangelical means absolutely nothing today. We now have

1. Women Pastors
2. Gay Pastors
3. T.D Jakes
4. Joel Olsteen
5. Eddie Long

and other such people that call themsleves "evangelical". But to be fair I am niether reformed by the standard of the CRC or by Reformed Seminaries for that matter. I guess I would have a baptist ecclisology (with a first century feel) I would affirm all five points of the Doctrines of Grace, I would be more Reformed in my Eschatology (Amill)and affirm the 5 Solas produced by the Reformation, while also holding a high view on autonomy and a congregationalist in its purest form.

I would also rather see a gathering look more like 1 Corinthians 14 than a well planned program. Not ot mention I would agree with those who would call themselves New Covenant Theologians in their approach to the discontinuity of the Covenants while also believing the Church is one in Christ and all the promises of God are found in Christ rather to Israel or to the Church. That may be a weird mixture but that is where I would stand. But the term evangelical means nothing in our society today.

DeeDub said...

Hey Lionel,

Frankly, I don't disagree with your charge that "evangelical" is a confusing term, only eclipsed by the all-morphing label "Christian" in our culture. But I did not say that I "identify" with the term evangelical and take it as my tag of self-expression...but specifically I use it when "discussing the church and targeting a community in need of Reformation."

Despite the theological confusion that reigns among those you listed, this is the community of believers...unlike mainline liberal protestants by comparison...who at least claim the bible is their standard for life and doctrine. On the surface, they [those in the evangelical community] are open to discover and apply what the bible teaches about God, Christ, their work and expectations for his people.

That doesn't mean that Osteen himself is teachable...but there is a fertile mission field among the evangelically churched who will respond to the ring of biblical church when they hear it. So when I raise concerns about the church community, I am speaking more broadly than Sherard Burns has done in the past during his excellent criticisms of the Reformed church on issues of race, for instance. I think we have to speak to the challenges of evangelicalism in general because this is the wing of the church that aspires to be biblical.

So, I'm not lifting up evangelicalism as an aspiration but as a domain of concern and focus for a reformation movement, both within and beyond the Black church community. And clearly we can't target a reformation for our cultural brothers and sisters without critique within the very scope of pastors and pastor types you listed.

Now, as for the ecclesiological profile you listed, I don't struggle with most of what you said...though I don't think a 1 Cor 14 worship model is warranted given today's practices; but to me that's an issue of "form and function", I think we can get to the heart of what Paul is exhorting there without resorting to an unstructured public service time. I'm not trying to get back to the 1st century, indeed I think we need to get even more about the business of getting to the 21st century in our worship models...but more about that later.

I am taking a closer look at Amill in my personal reading...why don't you do a blog posting on your convictions in this area?

Anyhow, I think evangelical does in fact mean something in the church today...it means that here is a particular community wanting to be Christ-like in all it does, but is biblically, doctrinally and practically confused on exactly what that means...especially since so many wolves have worked their way into the sheep pen...

Anonymous said...

This is a strange tension of sorts for me in your labeling. Not that I disgree with you but I find it strange or better yet different.

Your writing style is a little different than most that I have notice in a while. Unilke my man Lionel is writes with a "Mars Hill Approach" you write from a Piper or Mallard Erickson like stance.

The both of those guys write from the satndpoint of sharing both sides of the coin and then showing you what they think in relation to both sides of the coin.(I hope that makes since)I see you much in that same zone of writing.

Interesting none the less but I would ask one question of you. Are you using the title not to offend or scare of those in opposition to Reformed doctrine?

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!